Thursday, November 12, 2009

Keep Your Knees at 90 Degrees

When I played sports as a kid, wall sits were pure torture to me. Some days I still have a love-hate relationship with the exercise, but have grown to appreciate this strength-building work out. What I love most about wall sits is how much your entire lower body and abdominals are worked. Plus, you can do this work out any time of the day, in (mostly) all kinds of outfits, wherever a wall is available. If you have low-back or knee issues, this exercise is not recommended for you.

Never done a wall sit? In bare feet or athletic shoes, stand with your back straight against a wall. Slide your back down the wall until your knees are at a 90 degree angle. Keep your abs tight, like you're trying to pull your belly button to reach the wall behind you. Sink as low as possible, but not so far that your rear is lower than your knees, to avoid injury. Engage your thighs to hold yourself strong and try to stay for a full minute in this position.

Once you can stay in the wall sit position for a full minute without having to stand up, try to push yourself to staying for a minute and a half, then 2 minutes, and so on.

For an even tougher workout, try lifting your heels off of the ground while in the wall sit position. This will engage your calves more, and you'll even feel your thighs working harder for you.

I find myself doing wall sits while I brush my teeth, watch TV, wait for water to boil in the kitchen, or even for a few minutes at the office if I need a quick head break. What a great exercise that is effective, easy to do, and requires little time & no special equipment! Take a minute or two out of your day to give it a try for yourself.

2 comments:

Katie said...

i used to do this whilst gazing at the back of my bedroom door wallpapered in NSYNC pictures. :[

Nikki said...

Ha! NSYNC, eh? Would have been my idea of 2 kinds of torture at the same time.

Just kidding... :) Classic exercise.