Sunday, January 17, 2010

Happy Mat

As if it's not obvious, hot yoga generates a lot of sweaty yogis. Don't get me wrong -- it's cleansing, refreshing, rejuvenating to sweat as much as we do in class. But it's also very important to keep hygiene in mind, too. I'm not only talking physical, personal hygiene. I'm talking about our mats.

This morning I was next to someone who calmly told me that she can't even remember the last time she cleaned her mat. (Ack!) As I was trying not to react, the person on my other side piped in and said the same thing. Now, perhaps I'm a little more germ-conscience than the average person, but I would have thought that it would be common sense to at least rinse off a sweaty yoga mat before rolling it up and putting it away before the next class. Maybe those who use yogitoes think that the towel keeps their mats clean, and it does provide a sanitary layer between our bodies and our mats, which it does. I just hope I'm not all alone in my thinking...

Personally, I use an all natural, antibacterial spray on my mat (found at Garner's Natural Life) after each use. While I realize this may not be feasible for every busy yogi, cleaning your mat at least once per week is a smart thing to do.

No comments: