Monday, February 22, 2010

Let's get crazy...

The Fresh Market is a gem of a store. Being right near my home, and full of delectible, healthy food options, it is one of my most frequented grocery outlets (not to diss Earth Fare, the health food store that stole my heart).

I digress. The Fresh Market has a section of fresh and minimally-processed fruit and nut mixes. You'll find them near the front of the store, in a barrel-like display that is 15 feet long, with 2 sides of double rows full of sweet, savory, spicy, and sweet and savory options to choose from. My favorite fruit and nut mix is the "Gourmet Nut Blend." Sigh... It's a mix of dried cherries, cranberries, pistacious, walnuts, and peanuts. It. Is. So. Addictive.

Be careful, though, with the amount of these fruit and nut mixes you eat in one sitting. Yes, the fats are healthy ones and the sugar is naturally occuring and not a chemically processed addition. However, too much of a good thing can still be a bad thing if you don't focus on maintaining a balanced diet.

My point? In moderation, fruit and nut mixes are a great option to keep at your work station, in the car, in your gym bag for a pick-me-up after a hard workout, or in a container on your kitchen counter if you have a sudden craving to snack. If you're trying to lose weight, or (like me) just want to keep healthy snack options on hand when you're in a pinch, I highly recommend the Gourmet Nut Blend. Just don't say I didn't warn you about its addictive deliciousness.

2 comments:

Julia Davis said...

I agree Nikki, the Gourmet nut blend is my favorite!! I love love pistachios! It is highly addictive and not great for a meal replacement because you'll end up eating way more than is needed! I am obsessed with FM's DIY fresh almond butter which is another thing that you can easily have too much of. Makes me want a Golden Delicious to dip right now!

Nikki said...

Girrl I know... Their almond butter rocks! You and I eat so much alike... :)