Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Quick Vegan Meal Options

Eating a vegan diet isn't as hard as many may think. Like anything else, it's important to find balance, and after a while eating vegan becomes second nature. A question I'm often asked is, "How do you find things to eat when you eat out?" Well, I don't eat out much. It's cheaper and safer for me to prepare my own meals. When I do eat out, though, I stick to the same restaurants that I know have vegan-friendly options.

Like everyone else, I sometimes have a very busy schedule. I don't always have time to prepare an intricate meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, depending on my schedule for the day. When I'm in a pinch, I have a couple of brands of food that I often rely on: Dr. McDougall's Right Foods and (my personal fave) Amy's Kitchen. Both brands are wholly vegetarian, and are also good options for people who are trying to lose weight by replacing one or two meals per day with lower-calorie foods.

Dr. McDougall's offers "Ramen Noodle-like" instant soups that are delicious, filling, and cheap! There are so many different kinds of meals, including Black Bean & Lime Soup, Split Pea with Barley Soup, and Tomato Basil Pasta Soup. Many are now offered as low-sodium options, as well. All you have to do is add hot water. Pick your favorite kind and give it a try!

Amy's offers such an array of food that I have to be careful not to ONLY eat Amy's. Don't get me wrong, it's healthy stuff. But it's important to eat fresh food, too, not just processed food (no matter how healthy the brand claims to be). The burritos are delish (and addictive!). Amy's even offers frozen breakfast items. You'll also find Amy's soups and stews in cans, pasta sauce, frozen organic (some vegan) pizzas, salsa, dessert, veggie burgers, and frozen meals that are perfect for lunch or dinner. Amy's is also all vegetarian, but the meals are so good that even non-vegetarians will like them.

No comments: