Thursday, October 8, 2009

Stayin' Alive

Today I received my CPR and AED (Automatic Electronic Defibrillator) certification through my local Red Cross. I always thought I knew how to do CPR on someone if I ever had to, and if the situation came up I may have been able to do it half-right. But really, I had no idea. Our class practiced actual CPR on realistic dummies, learned how to do the Heimlich Maneuver, what to do if you witness an injury, and other details about CPR and how to act in emergency situations.

I must say that I was a little disappointed that my instructor didn't share with us some "fun" tips about CPR and the Heimlich that I've picked up over the years. For instance, did you know that when doing chest compressions during CPR you should compress the chest to the tempo of The Bee Gees' hit "Stayin' Alive?" It's true! My instructor said she'd never heard this before, but I proved my case by singing aloud to the group while practicing CPR on my dummy. The instructor didn't laugh, but my classmates appreciated the tip and the free entertainment.

All joking aside, what I learned today is valuable knowledge that could save a life! I encourage you to visit your local American Red Cross chapter to find out more about getting certification that you will carry with you your whole life. Click here for more information about CPR certification from The American Red Cross.

1 comment:

klevans said...

haha, did you see the office episode where they learned CPR? fantastic.

great post. i need to get on this. i haven't been certified since high school and they change the rules every few years so i am certainly out of practice...