Sunday, December 27, 2009

Chiseling away at the non-essentials.

2010 is almost upon us. Most people I know (including myself) will make some sort of resolutions for the new year. It's a new year, clean slate, a chance to make one's self better in some way.

I like to start each day this way, not just in the new year. Don't get me wrong -- I've set some resolutions for myself in 2010, too. But it's important that I remind myself that each new day is a chance to make myself a better person; to learn from the mistakes I've made in the past, and try to not repeat them again by changing my mindset and behavior. It's also important that I remind myself to take these changes a step at a time, a day at a time. It's like the saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day."

In light of the time of new year resolutions, I wanted to share something I read this morning, written by Bruce Lee:

"In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject. Actually, he keeps chiseling away at the non-essentials until the truth of his creation is revealed without obstruction."

Many of us in this world set high goals for ourselves, and push ourselves way too hard, trying to achieve perfection. This unrealistic mindset can be true for many behaviors: in our professional lives, in keeping our houses clean, in trying to lose weight or achieve the "perfect" body, in our relationships.

This year, try to meet your goals and tackle resolutions one day at a time, having patience with yourself, and without self-judgement. To me, the coming of a new year can be great, when people worldwide have a mindset to positively change themselves in one way or another. As Bruce Lee so eloquently put it, just keep chiseling away at the non-essentials until your true self is revealed, without obstruction.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fact that this is the first comment is shocking...keep moving forward. If anyone else has read this, and didn't want to stand up and do something about theirselves, they are the helpless. Thank you Nik for making my day brighter:)

Nikki said...

Thank you! Nice to get the occasional feedback. :)